Manually maintaining an array of WordPress plugins and core WordPress updates can be a hassle, especially if you have multiple websites to manage. Fortunately there are methods for automating updates on your WordPress websites.
Before automating updates we recommended that you have a backup system in place just in case an update causes your website to fall over. To ensure you have a recent restore point there are solutions such as BackupBuddy to automate WordPress backups.
Plugin: Advanced Automatic Updates
Advanced Automatic Updates is a free plugin that adds extra options to WordPress’ built-in Automatic Updates feature. On top of security updates, it also supports installing major releases, plugins and themes.
- Install and Activate Advanced Automatic Updates via your WordPress dashboard.
- Navigate to Settings > Advanced Automatic Updates.
- To enable automatic updates for all core, plugin and theme updates check:
- Major versions.
- Minor and security versions.
- Update your plugins automatically.
- Update your themes automatically.
- Click Save Changes. When new updates are detected they should be downloaded and installed automatically.