Google Merchant Center is a tool that helps you to upload your product listings to be used for Google Shopping, Google Product Ads and Google Commerce Search.
Setting up a Google Merchant Center Account
- Visit http://www.google.com/merchants/ and sign in with your Google Account.
- Select your country (this cannot be changed later) then click Continue.
- Terms of Service will be displayed, if you agree to the terms select the radio button and click Continue.
- You can now begin to configure your account.
- Store Name: The name that will appear next to your listings in search results. You may change your store name at a later date in the Merchant Center Settings. Google Shopping truncates store names longer than 20 characters. Do not include suffixes like “Inc.” or “Co”. Avoid promotional text and the repeated or unnecessary use of punctuation, capitalization or symbols.
- Description: A short description of your online store. A few sentences should do, be sure to use keywords related to your store in your description.
- Website URL: The URL of your website, in most cases Google recommends using the root domain e.g. http://mydomainname.com.au.
- Add your business information including address and telephone number.
- Provide the contact information for customer service inquiries.
- Provide private contact information. This information will not be displayed publicly, but Google will use this information to contact you if necessary.
- When you have completed the fields click the Save Updates button.
Verify and Claim a Website URL
Before you can upload and publish product data to Google Merchant Center, you must verify and claim your website.
If you have already verified ownership of your website you can skip to step 3.
- Visit Google Webmaster Tools with your Google Account.
- Verify Ownership of your Website.
- After your website URL is verified in Google Webmaster Tools, you will need to claim the website URL in Google Merchant Center.
- Sign in to your Google Merchant Center account.
- Click the Settings link, then click General.
- Under Website URL, enter your site’s URL.
- Click Claim this URL to claim the website.
- Click Save Changes to confirm your changes. You should see “Verified and Claimed” displayed under your URL.
Creating Your Product Data
Once you set up your account, you are ready to create and upload your product data. The easiest method of getting your product information to Google is via a Data Feed.
Depending on the configuration of your e-commerce website the automated generation of a data feed for Google Merchant Center may require custom development.