NOTE: Google Places is now Google My Business
Sign your business up to Google Places to be found on Google Search, Maps, Google+, and mobile devices. Ensure your customers the have right information about your business by updating your contact information, location, hours and more.
Setting Up Google Places
- Visit https://www.google.com.au/business/ and sign in to your Google Account.
- Click the Add New Business or Get Started for Free button.
- You will be taken to page to search if Google already has some information about your business.
- Select the country in which your business operates e.g. Australia
- Enter your businesses telephone number.
- Click Find Business Information.
- Review the search results, if any, to see if one of them describes your business.
- If none of the results are related to your business, you will be prompted to add business information on the Edit Details page.
- If none of the results is your business, click Add a new listing. You’ll be prompted to add more information on the next page.
- Provide information about your business.
- Company/Organization: This is the official/registered name of your business. Some businesses may be located within a mall or a container store, which is a store that contains another business. If your business is within a container store or mall, and you’d like to include this information in your listing, specify the container store in parentheses in the business name field. For example, Starbucks (inside Safeway).
- Address: The address should look exactly the way you’d write it on a standard mailing envelope. If you are a service-area business, you’ll be able to hide your address in a few steps. We recommend listing suite numbers in Address Line 2.
- Telephone: Be sure to include the area code with your phone.
- Website: Your website URL can be a maximum of 255 characters.
- Categories: Enter several categories to describe your business, to make it easier for others to find when they search Google. Google will automatically suggest categories as you type. Make sure you choose one Google-suggested category before adding customizable categories. You can enter up to 5 categories for your business.
- You also have the opportunity to provide additional details about your business such as:
- Hours of Operation
- Payment Options
- Review the preview of your listing as it will appear in Google Maps on the right side of your screen. New information will appear in the preview as you enter it. When you’re satisfied with your listing, click Submit at the bottom of the page.
- Choose how you would like to verify your listing and click Finish.